+Trending Topics

Friday, January 27, 2012

CASE STUDY: Google+ vs Facebook engagement

It's January 2012. Facebook will have 1 Billion users in just a few months.  Google just zoomed by 90 Million of it's own.  Bloggers and writers are opining about Timeline, how to use G+ Hangouts, and trying to sort out what works and what doesn't for social business.

So, I decided to do a "test."

The purpose was simple: To compare the engagement levels by users on Google+ and Facebook. 

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that Facebook is dead, that Google+ is a savior, or anything related. Some are convinced that Google+ is for technical people (snobs and elitist) and Facebook is for "real" people.  My goal is to just share what I have found.  I wish I had the API data (hint, hint Google) so that I could show you more complete data and analytics, but I think you'll find this intriguing. For the record, on my Facebook page I am maxed out at 5,000 friends and on Google+ 13,378 have me in circles.

So here we go.

I took into consideration the potential arguments that would arise based on the content and user base of each platform. I agree that Google+ appears to be more technical in nature and that Facebook seems to focus on more simple or personal topics. Therefore, I chose to post something that was a) not technology oriented, or that 'would be perceived to favor the Google+ audience', b) was not about my puppy, which could be equally argued to favor 'the Facebookers', c) With the interface of Facebook Timeline and Google+ in consideration then, I chose a single picture, and a simple question that would be used similarly on both platforms, posted at the same time I committed to interact with both sets of people as they engaged.  

Here are my findings - the numbers tell the story. (These snapshots were taken this morning, one right after the other)



First, engagement on Facebook was only 4% in relation to the engagement on Google+.  Even taking into consideration that I have over twice as many "followers" on Google+ than on Facebook, that would still mean that the numbers would 92% to 8%.  Advantage: Google+

Using Google+ Ripples, was helpful in analyzing 'how' the public posts migrate through the channel.  Here's a snapshot on this specific public Google+ post:

Notice Sandra Parlow, Arleen Boyd, Jed Kim and CathiBea Stevenson stand out as the key amplifiers...


Drilling deeper, you'll see Sandra Parlow as the key amplifier, with 30,108 who have her in circles.  It makes sense that she would be number 1 since she enjoys such a large audience.  


One final statistic to note from my "test": Who were the most influential folks on Google+? Was it a bunch of technology chums of mine? Nope. Was it followers of CrushIQ? No. I was pleasantly surprised to see the engagers make up a very well rounded audience.  The overwhelming majority on Google+ just interacting and getting to know other people. Nice!


Question that I have unanswered: Why is this? Are Google+ users starved for humanity? Is this why photographs are so popular on Google+? Are Facebook users beginning to tune out?  Will this replicate?  I don't have the definitive answers, yet.  I am simply posting my findings and my genuine (knee jerk) response/surprise and leaving the interpretation and analysis to you. 

I look forward to your thoughts, and if you like this, please share it via the channels below.

Thank you.

Tim

Google+: Tim Moore
Facebook: /TimMoore
Twylah: TimMoore




Enhanced by Zemanta

18 comments:

  1. really convinced that Google+ is the future "near future that is", of social networking and the way businesses and brands do actual business, build relationships and turn them all into communities, this turned into an actual equation would convert into dollar signs and (WOM). I have really been trying to commit an hour a day after work to focus on building relationships with those that use the G. Love its interface, its easy way to clean up and add individuals to circles and its many benefits when it comes to the way your content is found in search results. Great case study Moore, really impressive cluster lay outs on amplification btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate it Andre. I'm scouring for more data and running a few more tests to get a well-rounded picture. We'll need to measure a clear line for SME's before they'll be convinced of the value of G+ for the businesses to invest time into.

      Some of them are still pushing back on Facebook. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Tim,
    Good piece of research here. I did a post a couple of weeks ago along similar lines. However yours has a bit more science behind it that mine.

    I have about 1/10 the friends & followers you have, but I had the exact opposite reaction. My example was not an image either, but so far I can tell you I get much better engagement on FB.

    BUT, we are embracing G+ as quickly as possible as I believe it will be a serious player in the next year or two.

    Here is a link to the post in case you or your readers are curious: http://www.verticalmeasures.com/social-media/googles-search-plus-your-world-not-in-my-world/

    Arnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Arnie. Yes, it's still early and I agree more time and testing needs done, and we need the API from Google so we can really start measuring things for Brands. Thanks for the link too, I'll share it. Great stuff!

      Delete
  3. I was thinking of doing a similar case study. Well done. I can't say that I'm surprised by the findings though.

    I'll go ahead and say it... Facebook is dying and it's users are becoming more and more apathetic towards the updates of their "friends". Sad really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dustin, I think more testing needs done and I liked some of the suggestions that folks posted on G+. I do agree, the tide seems to be turning... :)

      Delete
  4. I don't really think this test is representative of the average user. Most Facebook users, for instance, engage only with their genuine friends and family (hence average friends being around 150 - an amount that it is theoretically possible to maintain a social relationship). A normal user does not have 5000 'friends'. I don't really see Facebook as a place for brands, although many B2C brands can do very well from it.

    Facebook is not dying. The youth of today are obsessed by it, and that's not going to change. Facebook is a place where kids can hang out with their friends, just like chat rooms used to be. Or msn messanger. Or MySpace.

    'Social' networks need to be exactly that. Being social is about building and maintaining real genuine relationships. That's what you want to measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on. Good points and that was exactly what I was weighing here. Rumors of Facebook's demise are far from reality.

      Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate your contribution to this subject.

      Delete
  5. Nice post, I think people always are inclined towards NEW, facebook has been around for some time and g+ is emerging so everybody wants to try on that.. and it seems certain that personal ism is on fb while g+ is more tech oriented.. the only thing to keep in mind, google is not going to shutdown g+ soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very balanced. Frankly, in 5 years, we may all be on something entirely different, right? :)

      Time will tell, but engagement and satisfaction by the communities users will always remain a key benchmark - does that sound fair?

      Delete
  6. Tim, thanks for the quick analysis. I worked on G+ briefly when I worked at Google, and I was astounded by how easy/cleanly sharing was created. I'm not surprised this took off.

    I think the engagement can be attributed to G+ users feeling like...
    - early adopters
    - the underdogs
    - the friendlier group (hey, it's that Google brand!)
    - the potential "next big influencers" (this ties back to being early adopters - everyone saw what happened with Twitter; you get in early, you can amass followers and build tribes, and you can build your personal brand into a business)

    Do any seem to you/others like the big driver of this engagement?

    Thanks!
    Jay
    www.socialsarcasm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay, I'd say simply the Circles. Even though Facebook has groups, the Circle concept just feels easier and more inclusive. Plus, when you add in the Hangout feature, it's connecting multiple people all over the world in a way Facebook hasn't.

      Thanks for dropping in. I circled you on G+, let's stay in touch. :)

      Delete
  7. From a "scientific" standpoint, the comparison is not quite fair. The "with" a specific person in the Facebook share could make readers less likely to pass it on, as the message could be seen as a reference to "something" between Tim and Debra. I'd not expect this to be a real big factor, but a good study needs to minimize the number of variables.

    Anyway, I'm not surprised :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What time of day did you post this? And what percentage of followers are also friends (only would have commented on one platform)?

    I disagree with Dustin above. The content is the same and if his idea is true, it means people are more interested in essentially strangers than actual friends? That's scary.

    I think they both have a place and it doesn't need to be either one or the other. That seems silly. Did anyone ever say there will be one social network? I hope not.

    I did something of a test a while ago, much like this, but leading people back to a post on my blog (also visually appointed). I checked the stats, which is Google Analytics, and the people from Facebook spent twice as much time on the site, actually reading more than one page. The Google+ users, while not being a vastly greater number (it was close to 30 clicks from G+ and 25 from FB....and I have 300 friends on FB and 13,000 followers on G+) of the click throughs, had a shorter attention span. I can run it again, a bit more controlled, if you like.

    Try it again with a larger population than just you and see if the numbers look different. That will help lead you to answers to your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just don't think your comparing apples with apples. And I'm not surprised by the results.

    G+ is a network of people met through circles, who lets face it are largely anonymous to all of us. We don't know these people. Therefore sharing on G+ has little emotional weight, so we throw it out there with no baggage attached and no risk.

    FB on the other hand are largely people we have met and do know. Unless the thing you share is pertinent to your friends and your friends friends, they are far less inclined to like and share it.

    I think it's quite obvious. Is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. John Blossom's Google+ share (actually, a ripple of John Blossom's Google+ share) led me both to your test and to ArnieK's test. There are so many variables involved that it's hard to compare the two tests and the two different outcomes.

    There is another possible avenue for study. I visit Google+ and Facebook almost daily, and have friends who have accounts on both platforms. I have noticed that many of these friends happen to share the exact same items on both platforms. Perhaps some of this data could be analyzed to see which platform provides the most response in general, and what types of items generate more response on particular platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am migrating from Facebook to Google + in a big way. Google +'s UI is light years ahead of Facebook. For me Facebook book is chaotic compared to Circles. I feel I have much more direct control over my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use facebook,it is a hit.google+ is not as entertaining as facebook.Yes but it has given some competition to facebook.but still facebook will remain hot favourite.
    check this out ecommerce development

    ReplyDelete